These publications are valuable references for those interested in learning more about the practice of safe and effective veterinary anesthesia and pain management:
- Shafford, H. Pre-Hospital Sedation Options for Cats and Dogs © 2019.
- Minimizing fear, anxiety and pain are important goals for veterinary visits, with positive benefits for patient health. This document details administration of Pre-Hospital Gabapentin for fearful felines. The handout also describes other options for sedating cats and dogs prior-to and during veterinary visits.
- Shafford, H. Sedation Algorithm © 2020.
- This short document outlines drugs and doses to achieve various levels of sedation in healthy and older/ill patients.
- Shafford, H. Alfaxan Quick Reference © 2020.
- This document provides insights into clinical use of Alfaxan to help veterinary teams transition from propofol use to more regular use of Alfaxan.
- Shafford, H. Blood Pressure Monitoring & Management in Anesthetized Cats & Dogs © 2018.
- Practical document outlining blood pressure monitoring and treatment for anesthetic hypotension.
- Brock, N. Veterinary Anesthesia Update, 3rd Edition © 2019.
- This is the ONE anesthesia reference we feel should be read and referred to in every small animal practice. Information is easy to access, covers topics such as equipment, drugs and techniques, and offers protocol suggestions for patients with underlying disease. The author is a veterinary anesthesiologist with over 20 years experience working with private practitioners to enhance anesthesia. Online access through VIN.
- Campoy L & Read M. Small Animal Regional Anesthesia and Analgesia. Wiley Blackwell. 2013.
- Thomas JA & Lerche P. Anesthesia and Analgesia for Veterinary Technicians, 4th Edition. Elsevier. 2011.
- Tranquilli WJ, Thurmon JC & Grimm KA. Lumb and Jones’ Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia, 4th Edition. Blackwell Publishing. 2008.
- Gaynor JS & Muir WW. Handbook of Veterinary Pain Management, 2nd Edition. Mosby, Inc. 2008.
- Tranquilli WJ, Grimm KA & Lamont LA. Pain Management for the Small Animal Practitioner. Teton NewMedia. 2000.
- Snyder LBC & Johnson RA. Canine and Feline Anesthesia and Co-Existing Disease. Wiley Blackwell. 2015.
- Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia – the official journal of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists
Veterinary Anesthesia Specialists, LLC and Dr. Shafford are affiliated with the following organizations:
- American Animal Hospital Association <www.aahanet.org>
- American College of Veterinary Anesthesia & Analgesia <www.acvaa.org>
- American Veterinary Medical Association <www.avma.org>
- North American Veterinary Anesthesia Society <www.mynavas.org>
- Oregon Veterinary Medical Association <www.oregonvma.org>
- Portland Veterinary Medical Association <www.portlandvma.org>